Sunday, February 20, 2005

I found this part of the newly-surfaced tapes of Bush conversations from '98-00 rather amusing:
Preparing to meet Christian leaders in September 1998, Mr. Bush told Mr. Wead, "As you said, there are some code words. There are some proper ways to say things, and some improper ways." He added, "I am going to say that I've accepted Christ into my life. And that's a true statement."
Funny that someone so familiar with the nudge-nudge-wink-wink nature of politics would make such a silly mistake as to speak at racist Bob Jones University.

This was also curious:
"I like Ashcroft a lot," he told Mr. Wead in November 1998. "He is a competent man. He would be a good Supreme Court pick. He would be a good attorney general. He would be a good vice president."

"I want Ashcroft to stay in there, and I want him to be very strong," Mr. Bush said. " I would love it to be a Bush-Ashcroft race. Only because I respect him. He wouldn't say ugly things about me. And I damn sure wouldn't say ugly things about him."
And, of course, there is the admition of drug use, which we all knew anyway. The White House, by the way, has admitted these are genuine ("Trent Duffy, a White House spokesman, said, "The governor was having casual conversations with someone he believed was his friend.")

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home