Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Here is today's series of recent links on why I am fairly happy being a Democrat:

  • A Washington judge rules that couples may not divorce if the woman is pregnant, as that violates the rights of the unborn child. The case in question involved a husband who had been convicted of abusing the woman.
  • Daniel Pipes (a Bush appointee to the United States Institute of Peace) chimes in trying to justify internment of Japenese-Americans during WWII.
  • This NYT article from a few days ago reports how widespread criticism of the $15 million figure pledged by the administration caused a revision of the figure to $35 million (which incidentally is almost exactly what Canada, with approximately 1/10 of US GDP, is sending). Of course continued criticism has increased the figure to $350 million by now.
  • An interesting article on efforts by Washington Republicans to disown Sam Reed, the Wash. Secretary of State who presided over the recount in the governor's race. Reed sided with Democrats about as often as he did with Repubicans; the GOP wanted him to side with his party in every election dispute.
  • The Washington Post reports that the Bush administration is drawing up plans to keep suspected terrorists in prison for life without charging them.
(via Daniel Geffen, Laura Rozen, Lawyers, Guns, and Money)

11 Comments:

At 12:07 PM, Blogger ainge lotusland said...

yeah that story out of spokane is whack. oh eastern washington, when will you learn. the thing that gets me is apparently she has been estranged for 2 yrs from the abusive husband and the kid belongs to someone else anyway.

im finding your liberal bias wholly intolerable. i think you should have less antagonizing introductions to your post. your blog should be a safe space for bipartisanship, or else i will dump you.

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger alex said...

i think you're bluffing :)

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger ~rich said...

those are some thought provoking articles you've pointed out, but where's the commentary? what do you disagree with in them?
I'll address a couple of them over at beef always wins...

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger alex said...

Since my opinions on these issues are pretty typical, virtually the same as the rest of the left-leaning crowd, it would have been boring to post them here...

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger ~rich said...

understandable...thanks for coming over to discuss them at beef at least!

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger ~rich said...

dude, what happened to your template?
I liked the old one much better...

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger alex said...

It wasn't working well... I had problems clicking on links. For some reason, you had to get the position of the cursor over the link just right. I don't know if anyone else had the same problems I experienced, but it got annoying after a while so I thought it was time for a change...

 
At 1:19 AM, Blogger ainge lotusland said...

yeah whatever. i like the cube layout better. its so much cleaner and original and so much less "look, any idiot with a blogger password can have a blog" ... but whatever, you can decide how your blog looks if you forfeit veto power when we eventually decorate a house together... :)

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger alex said...

Fine, you can decorate it.

But please lets not make it too ostentatious...

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger ~rich said...

btw, do you actually solve the cube, or just like the design? if you solve it, what's your average time?

I know I'm a dork, but I had to do something with my spare time in Iraq...I've got my average down to under 3 minutes, with a record time of 2:04

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger alex said...

Ah, you are much better than I am. Mostly I like the design and I was looking for a symbol of nerdiness to put in place of the icon. And then angela came up with the idea to put Bush, Cheney, and Rice on it since most of what I write has to do with politics.

It usually takes me about half an hour of lounging around before I get the cube solved

 

Post a Comment

<< Home