Thursday, February 02, 2006

John Quiggin at Crooked Timber writes,

While we’re on the subject of religion, I happened (via Charles Dodgson at Through the Looking Glass) to discover that George Bush rarely goes to church (behind paywall, but the intro gives you the basics).

NTTAWWT - I’m sure he goes more often than I do. But it struck me as a blogworthy factoid.


In the comments, someone says

Doesn’t seem very blogworthy to me, sorry.


and Quiggin replies,

It’s always struck me as paradoxical that anyone would take the effort to type a comment like this.
Well, I'll explain it: while the "factoid" says nothing at all about GWB, Quiggin's opinion that its blogworthy says a lot about Quiggin.

Christianity or religion is not the same thing as church attendance. There are a million of varieties of Christianity out there; and most protestants tend to encourage reading and studying the bible without supervision, and coming to your own opinion about the meaning and interpretation of the various commands and passages, including church attendance - which, incidentally, is never explicitly commanded in the bible, the closest being something like hebrews 10:25.For another, as President, one cannot really visit a church without instantly becoming the center of attention.

As for Quiggin, we can conclude from that he either holds a very narrow conception of Christianity, or he is looking very, very hard for signs that GWB is a hypocrite.

2 Comments:

At 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, I got 50 comments + link from you, on a very brief post. Seems blogworthy to me.

JQ

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger alex said...

And open threads at Daily Kos generate hundreds of comments every day. Can we conclude that an empty post is blogworthy?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home