Sunday, February 29, 2004

Jorge Louis Borges quotes:

This was the first time Remington rifles were used in the Argentine, and it tickles my fancy to think that the firm that shaves me every morning bears the same name as the one that killed my grandfather.
-- In Autobiographical essay

In the critic's vocabulary, the word "precursor" is indispensable, but it should be cleansed of all connotations of polemic or rivalry. The fact is that every writer creates his own precursors. His work modifies our conception of the past, as it will modify the future.
--In Kafka and his Precursors

Any time something is written against me, I not only share the sentiment but feel I could do the job far better myself. Perhaps I should advise would-be enemies to send me their grievances beforehand, with full assurance that they will receive my every aid and support. I have
even secretly longed to write, under a pen name, a merciless tirade against myself.
-- Autobiographical essay

The original is unfaithful to the translation.
-- On Henley's translation of Beckford's Vathek, 1943

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home